Fall is one of my favorite times of year.
Hiking through forests of red and orange and yellow. Picking apples at the local orchard. Wandering through endless corn mazes.
And freshly-squeezed hot apple cider.
This recipe takes hot apple cider to a whole new level, with spices and the best part … fresh ginger. If you want a little extra kick, add more ginger or let it steep longer.
But fall isn’t the only time to enjoy this spiced hot apple cider. When the snow starts lapping at your windowsills, mix up a large pot for your entire family.
And let the spicy aroma fill your house with delicious warmth.
- 3 cups organic unsweetened apple cider
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup or honey (optional)
- ½ to 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- ½ an orange, sliced
- Heat the apple cider in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cinnamon, ground ginger, cardamom and maple syrup.
- Place grated ginger in a tea ball and add to apple cider.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place orange slices in mug and pour hot apple cider over them.
- Serve hot.
Adapted from Grail Springs Holistic Detox